Chlorine gas leak in Mumbai, 70 hospitalized

15
Vote

Faces and eyes stinging, gasping for breath – the hospitals in south Mumbai found it hard to cope with the stream of patients that arrived begging for help.

At 3.15 on Wednesday morning, a gas leak from a chlorine cylinder at the Mumbai Port Trust filled the air.

It was stored at a warehouse for hazardous cargo. Fortunately, the building is flanked by the sea on one side.

Industrial facilities lie on the other, which meant that those affected would be a limited number -70 people are currently in hospital, eight are reported to be in critical condition.

Among them, the students of a college hostel located near the warehouse, and labourers who were sleeping outside the dormitory. ”The patients are having respiratory problems and it’s not fatal.

The gas leak happened in the area where they were sleeping. There are 14 students and all others are labourers,” said TP Lahane, a senior doctor at JJ Hospital. (Watch: Students affected by Mumbai gas leak)

“We smelled something foul…we called the fire brigade…it arrived within 20 minutes…they called police vans…and then we were taken to JJ Hospital,” said a young student from the hostel that was affected.

For more than six hours, fire-fighters tried to neutralize the gas filling the air with sodium hydroxide sprays. The major fear: that there are more than a hundred cylinders similar to the one that caused this morning’s disaster lying in the same warehouse.

“That is supposed to be an empty cylinder of chlorine, but sometimes you have residual chlorine which remains in the cylinder and that leaked out,” explained Rahul Asthana, the Deputy Chairman of the Mumbai Port Trust. So who is responsible for them? “They were not taken by the importer and they are lying confiscated here in the hazardous cargo go-down,” said Asthana.

The big questions that officials now have to answer: Given that these cylinders were confiscated 15 years ago, why have they still not been disposed off when it was clear that these contained hazardous material? Further, why did nobody seem aware that the cylinders still had some chlorine in them?

A 45-member team of the National Disaster Response Force has been brought in from Pune to figure out how to safely dispose the remaining cylinders over the next few days. (Watch: Maharashtra Health Minister on chlorine leak)

The Shipping Ministry has also ordered the Mumbai Port Trust to file a detailed report on how such a leak could occur. “The Mumbai Port Trust is checking its records to find out if any action had been taken for the disposal of hazardous material in the past,” said an official statement from the Mumbai Port Trust.


News Source

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

 
We will keep You Updated...
Get Free Email Newsletter from VoteUpIndia Sign up for our free email newsletter. (Help?)
Read latest headlines in your favorite news reader
Follow VoteUpIndia  on Twitter Become a VoteUpIndia Fan on Facebook Subscribe to VoteUpIndia in Google Reader Add VoteUpIndia  to My Yahoo Add VoteUpIndia  to Netvibes Subscribe to Free Techie Buzz RSS Feed
Sponsored Links
Advertisements
Featured Video
Amazon
Best Storytellers
Powered by Authors Widget
Recent Posts

McDonald's Suspends Employee, Probes Child's Eviction From Pune Outlet

PUNE: After reports emerged that an eight-year-old destitute child was thrown out of an outlet of...

Why Arjun Made a Humble Request to Cast Sonakshi in Tevar

It's all about wearing your Tevar, this new year. Arjun Kapoor looked dapper at the initial promotions...

5 things Modi needs to do ASAP, after Bihar loss

It's not correct to transpose the outcome from a state election as a referendum on the central government,...

Sehwag's half century in All Star tournament.

The first match has been really special. We thoroughly enjoyed being here. New York, you were brilliant....

Bihar Defeat May Lead to Silent Rebellion in BJP Against PM, Amit Shah: Arun Shourie to NDTV

NEW DELHI: In the aftermath of the BJP's debacle in Bihar, Arun Shourie, one time admirer of Narendra...

Court Refuses to Stop Gillette Razor Ad Starring Deepika Padukone

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has refused to stop a Gillette razor advertisement starring Deepika...

Bigg Boss 9: Roopal Tyagi voted out of the house

TV actor Roopal Tyagi was evicted from reality show Bigg Boss on Sunday’s episode. Roopal is the...
Recent Comments
How i can submit my story...? and where i can see the staus of votes for this?
IFFI lose its art value,so it became lose it commercial value
Dear sir I am sending an article which is based on true story and needs your help to lime light such incidents which never come in
Thanks for the interesting article. Great Post. Keep it up
It is indeed heartening to learn that LSE, the world leader in higher education, will join hands with the most admired Reliance Foun
Tag Cloud